January 7, 2014
A hearty, healthy chili recipe that’s quick to prepare.
This black bean turkey chili is the sort of supper to come home to after these wintery days spent on the ski slopes. Hot, hearty and served with cornbread or oatmeal brown bread, it’s just the sort of supper that’s perfect after a winter day spent outside.
This recipe is great with chopped carrots added too (sauté them with the onions and peppers).
Black Bean Turkey Chili Recipe
- 2 cups dried black turtle beans, soaked and cooked (or about 4 cups cooked)
- ¼ cup oil, divided
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 jalapenos (optional)
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ¼ cup chili powder
- ¼ tsp. dried chipotle (optional)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (798 ml/28 oz.)
- 1 ½ cups broth or water
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 Tbsp. Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
- Salt to taste
- Heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat and brown the ground turkey until it is no longer pink. Remove to a bowl.
- In the same pot, heat the remaining 2 Tbsp. of oil and sauté the onions, jalapenos and red pepper.
- When they’re soft, add garlic, tomato paste and chili powder and stir to combine.
- Add tomatoes, turkey (with juices), beans and broth.
- Bring to a simmer, add oregano, molasses and salt to taste.
Serve with nachos or cornbread and sliced avocado.